Saturday 8 June 2013

BARRY CRAIG's Letter to the Editor on how Ottawa treats the North

"...Re: Rathgeber's resignation sign of rifts in Tory ranks (June 7). I know from experience how the Alberta MP feels about being managed by staff of the Prime Minister's Office.
I was director of public affairs for the Government of the Northwest Territories when the entire NWT Legislative Assembly flew to Ottawa and met with Pierre Trudeau.
Before the meeting, two very young members of the PMO in identical khaki trench coats -- they reminded me of bookends in a children's library -- told me in a flagrantly patronizing manner that I need not worry and they would handle all our public-relations needs.
It was ludicrous, their oozing arrogance but looking like they belonged in daycare. I asked to see their ID.
They flicked open their wallets with all the dramatic flourish of television cops. My response was unprintable but effective.
BARRY CRAIG
Winnipeg
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition June 8, 2013 A16.."
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opinion/letters_to_the_editor/identifying-with-angry-mp-210681771.html

10
10

No comments:

Post a Comment