Thursday 11 March 2010

Living in a dream - #Arviat #Nunavut #artist Joe Aulajut


Darrell Greer
Northern News Services
Published Wednesday, March 10, 2010
[Full text at]
http://nnsl.com/northern-news-services/stories/papers/mar10_10art.html
[Excerpt below]

ARVIAT - Arviat artist Joe Aulajut may have been a professional late bloomer, but he's making up for lost time when it comes to garnering a reputation for his work.

Aulajut, 41, didn't start producing art until 2006, when he took a course with artist Chris Wood through Nunavut Arctic College in his hometown.

NNSL photo/graphic

Arviat artist Joe Aulajut displays his ink pen drawings at the Aboriginal Artisan Village and Business Showcase during the 2010 Vancouver Olympics this past month. - photo courtesy of Deborah Hood

This past month, Aulajut had his art on display at the Aboriginal Artisan Village and Business Showcase during the 2010 Vancouver Olympics.

He said the Vancouver experience was absolutely incredible.

"I either had goose bumps, thought I was dreaming, or was just walking on air during most of my time there," said Aulajut.

"I never thought I would ever see so many people from all over the world.

"Away from my art, I went to a victory ceremony and one of the hockey games between Slovakia and Russia.

"That hockey game was the biggest moment for me, and something I will never forget because it was so exciting and so loud."

Aulajut said he had his way paid to the event by Kivalliq Partners in Development and the Government of Nunavut.

He said he had to rent a large house for $150 a day out of his own pocket, but his artwork paid for the expense.

"There was a lot of interest in my work, and I sold the 25 drawings I brought with me in just three days.

No comments:

Post a Comment